Fruity Farro Breakfast
A wholesome alternative to oats in the morning.
- 1 cup chopped Red Grapes from Chile
- 1 cup chopped Red Plum from Chile 1 plum = 1 cup
- 1 cup chopped Black Plum from Chile 1 plum = 1 cup
- 1 1/2 tbsp butter or margarine
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ginger optional
- 2 tbsp brown sugar Could add 3 tbsp total if you like it sweeter
- 1 3/4 cup farro I used PC Italian Farro (entire 225 g box)
- 2 1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk Swop with milk of choice. Add 1tsp vanilla extract if your milk is not vanilla flavoured
Prepare fruit and place in cast iron pan or saucepan. Add butter, cinnamon, ginger, sugar. Stir to combine and cook over medium heat until butter is melted and ingredients combined, approx. 3 minutes.
Add farro and stir into fruit mixture.
Add milk and bring to boil, then reduce heat to medium-low to maintain a simmer. The mixture will cook down over 15-20 minutes. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking to the bottom.The meal is ready to serve when the liquid has been absorbed and the farro is tender but not mushy.
Optional: Serve topped with a dollop of yogurt.
This would store well in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days. I would eat them cold, or warm in a pan with a little extra milk or water. Alternatively, I’m sure you could warm them in a microwave (though I don’t have one).