This recipe is so, so delicious and what we love most about it is that it is a brilliant way to use up slightly overripe bananas. Sure we love banana bread as much as the next person but this somewhat old fashioned recipe gives you another option to use up that fruit before it goes to waste. It also uses other ingredients that you most likely have in the kitchen on any given day. Enjoy!
Classic Banana Foster
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 1 banana, peeled and cut either lengthwise or into bite sized pieces
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 ounce rum
- Melt butter and brown sugar in a frying pan.
- Chop one banana and add to the pan. Sauté over medium heat until lightly browned, turning once.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon. Remove pan from heat.
- Add rum and flambé by carefully lighting the sauce on fire with a long-reach lighter. Spoon flaming sauce over the banana pieces until flame is extinguished and serve with vanilla ice cream or on top of a simple cake.